Business & Finance Transactions
Plave Koch clients are a diverse and active lot. They encounter all of the opportunities and challenges that arise in the life of a business – raising capital, securing real estate, buying and selling assets, collecting funds, and forming strategic alliances.
We go where the clients go, which often means transactions outside of the core areas of franchising and licensing. When needed, we use our referral relationships with specialists in tax, bankruptcy, real estate, and securities law. We do not act as tax advisors.
Our services include:
- Basic commercial transactions. We handle the nuts and bolts of buying and selling goods and services.
- Franchisee buyouts and sale of company-owned units. We have dozens of asset purchase transactions under our belts.
- Private equity. We advise PE firms and franchisors on fund investments in franchise systems, at both the franchisor and franchisee levels. For PE clients, we typically serve as special counsel for franchise due diligence and stay on for franchise advice after the deal closes.
- Mergers and acquisitions. We have considerable experience with issues and disputes that arise when strategic buyers bring multiple franchise systems under common ownership.
- Financing. We prepare promissory notes, security agreements and equipment leases. We assist with securitization of royalty streams, typically as franchise counsel for the issuer.
- Commercial leases. We provide general review of business terms. Local real estate counsel is needed for site-specific issues.
- Business formations. We form basic limited liability companies and help structure joint ventures and strategic alliances.